Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Tall Tuesday: Oprah with Bubbles and George


ML also records Oprah daily. Thankfully she showed me this, "That's Incredible!" show from February 23rd. There were several guests on the show, two of which stood out as the world's tallest. One was Marvadene "Bubbles" Anderson, at 6'10" the tallest 16 year old in the world and is predicted to hit 7'1". She recently moved to the U.S. from Jamaica and is very well spoken and charming for her age with a strong sense of self and good sense of humor. I am confident she will meet her goals of playing in the WNBA and being a pediatrician or whatever she sets her mind to. I hope her body is able to keep up with the pressures of basketball training as she was shown using crutches.

Another guest who also exuded personality was George, the world's tallest dog. He is a great dane about 43" to the shoulder and 7'3" from nose to tail. He looked quite at home sitting in a chair with his front legs propping him up.

About the art:
I used an old piece of Strathmore 400 series watercolor paper that was yellowed with age. I lightly penciled in the rough, put down the watercolor then used a crow quill pen to ink over it. The rough paper is not ideal for the pen but was heavy enough not to tear. I was trying to keep it spontaneous looking like the work of Richard Thompson or John Cuneo (NSFW), which was not as easy as they make it look, especially when I don't use my watercolors that often. Working with traditional mediums makes corrections much more tricky, too. I added a line in George's hind leg that should not have been there but was able to clone and smudge it out in Photoshop. I also used Photoshop to add highlights to the noses of Bubbles and Oprah and white space around the dog's head to break it out from Bubbles' clothing. The original art is about 6"x6".

No comments: