Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Tall Tuesday: Taylor Swift


Who is that taking an early lead in her career over such established country artists like The Dixie Chicks, Faith Hill and Carrie Underwood? Why it's Taylor Swift of course! It doesn't hurt that her 5'11" height and long legs gives her some advantage (in more ways than one). I can't say much about her music since I'm not into the pop country style, but I'm sure my niece can fill me in on how good it is. She was charming and funny on Saturday Night Live and in the movie, "Valentine's Day." Time will tell if she has the endurance to maintain her star power.

About the art:
I checked out a book called "Live & Learn: Expressive Drawing: A Practical Guide to Freeing the Artist Within" by Steven Aimone from the library. Seeing some of the freestyle charcoal and brush strokes made me want to cut loose a little with my inking. I had some of that feeling inking Paganini. Once I got past the tricky violin in was fun using broad strokes to fill in his hair and clothing.

In this case I drew a very light, loose pencil sketch, which I purposely left showing in the final. You can just make out a few lines. I used a natural hair Utrecht #4 brush. The brush tip is a bit longer than the Nylon brushes I normally use with a few hairs making a very flexible tip. It's a little more difficult to control and dries out a little faster, but I wanted that looser look and was able to achieve some dry brush textures more easily. It reminds me just how far computers have to go before they can replicate such inking work.

I tried not to overdo the color in Photoshop, which is where I still struggle the most.

P.S. Look for upcoming posts on Neko Case and Janelle Monae, two unique singers of the music world.

No comments: